5 July 2022
RAINBOW 7th Plenary Meeting
Representatives of the RAINBOW consortium gathered together at the 7th Plenary Meeting of the RAINBOW project that took place in Athens, Greece on 28-29th of June 2022. During the meeting, RAINBOW partners had the chance to present the progress of their tasks, along with the challenges, potential opportunities and future plans related to their implementation. The project coordinator, UBITECH Ltd, organized and chaired the whole process during the two days.
The objectives achieved at the 7th Plenary Meeting include:
- Clear understanding of the lessons learned and next steps in the integration and deployment of RAINBOW’s second release platform through the project Use Cases
- Clear understanding of the current development state of RAINBOW’s technological components
- Presentation of the current state of individual RAINBOW components and agreement on the integration aspects and guidelines under a roadmap following the 2nd release of the RAINBOW Fog Computing platform
- Elaboration of the key exploitable results and IPR management.
- Planning of the next dissemination, exploitation and communication activities
The vision of RAINBOW is to design and develop an open and trusted fog computing platform that facilitates the deployment and management of scalable, heterogeneous and secure IoT services and cross-cloud applications (i.e., microservices).
RAINBOW falls within the bigger vision of delivering a platform enabling users to remotely control the infrastructure that is running, potentially, on hundreds of edge devices (e.g., wearables), thousands of fog nodes in a factory building or flying in the sky (e.g., drones), and millions of vehicles travelling in a certain area or across Europe. RAINBOW aspires to enable fog computing to reach its true potential by providing the deployment, orchestration, network fabric and data management for scalable and secure edge applications, addressing the need to timely process the ever-increasing amount of data continuously gathered from heterogeneous IoT devices and appliances. The developed solution will provide significant benefits for popular cloud platforms, fog middleware, and distributed data management engines, and will extend the open-source ecosystem by pushing intelligence to the network edge while also ensuring security and privacy primitives across the device-fog-cloud-application stack.
RAINBOW has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 framework programme for research and innovation under grant agreement No. 871403.